BREAKING: Man Dies in Officer Involved Shooting


Published 12/16 2013 08:05AM

Updated 12/16 2013 06:20PM

GREEN BAY, Wis. (WFRV) - Police have identified the man who was killed in an officer-involved shooting in Green Bay Monday morning.

They say 63 year old Darold Vanden Heuvel was shot by an officer at the Georgetown apartments on the city's west side.

Police responded to a disturbance call here around 5:30 this morning. A woman told police her estranged husband was in the building. According to police, the couple was going through a divorce, and the woman had a restraining order against Vanden Heuvel.

Over the past week she noticed him following her. Police found him in an underground parking garage.

The officer involved is a 4 and a half year veteran with the department.

He is on paid leave until the investigation is complete.

GREEN BAY, Wisc. (WFRV) A man is dead after an officer involved shooting at the Georgetown Apartments on Green Bay's westside.

Police say they received a call for help a little after 5:30am Monday.

The initial call came from a woman who said her husband was inside the apartment building and he was not supposed to be there because of a recent restraining order against him. 

Further information revealed that the couple were going through a divorce and the woman's husband sometimes carries a pistol. 

Two officers arrived on scene and encountered the man, a 63-year-old Green Bay man, inside the building with a handgun. One officer fired his weapon and struck the man. 

The man was taken to a local hospital where he died.   

A neighbor said he heard the gunshots and saw the man being taken away.

"I was in my apartment and we thought it was someone banging on the fence or something. It looked like, sounded like guns, a round of guns and that you know," Joseph Swiecichowski said.

Right now, the entire area of Capitol Drive between Fisk St. and Beacon St. is blocked off. Multiple police and detectives are on scene interviewing officers, witnesses and processing evidence.

Local 5's Wendy Fleury was live on scene shortly after the intial call came in. Click the video link above to see her report.

Copyright Copyright 2013 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.