Gas leak causes residents living in 40 homes to evacuate

Published 07/12 2014 01:12PM

Updated 07/12 2014 09:34PM

TWO RIVERS, Wis. (WFRV) - Some residents in Two Rivers had to be evacuated from their homes and businesses on Saturday morning during a gas leak.

According to the Two Rivers Fire Department, a two inch natural gas line was accidentally cut while a construction company was digging at the intersection of 18th Street and Monroe Avenue.
The incident happened around 8:30 a.m.
Fire officials evacuated all residents in a two block perimeter.

According to Wisconsin Public Service, about 40 households were evacuated.

They deployed hose lines for protection but no one was injured.

The leak was under control by about 10 a.m. and officials say it is safe for residents to return home.

Customers should call the WPS customer hotline should they feel they smell any gas or are experiencing any issues as a result of this incident at (800) 450-7280.

Copyright Copyright 2014 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.