Door Co. marina fire causes several hundred thousand dollars in damages

Published 08/26 2014 05:11PM

Updated 08/26 2014 05:22PM

STURGEON BAY, Wis. (WFRV)-- “It was a total shock," said Michelle Anderson.

Anderson’s boat is docked just yards away from where a fire broke out at Quarter Deck Marina in Sturgeon Bay Monday night.

After hours of clean up, all that remain are three vacant slips and a charred finger dock.  She said she’s lucky to see her boat still intact.

“I know some of the people on some of those boats and to just see the blank spaces where they used to be and they’re not there anymore. Better to lose your boat then your life," said Anderson.

The fire broke out around 7 p.m. Monday. 

The Fire Department said the blaze was likely sparked by an electrical fire.  Then spread to the other two boats—causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.

The Sturgeon Bay Fire Chief said that fiber glass is highly flammable and when you get boats this close together—marina fires like last night can spread quickly.  But they contained it as best they could.

Scott Bird, the Quarter Deck Marina Manager said, “It could have been a whole lot worse.  They moved 5 or 6 boats out of harm’s way.”

Crews at the marina were busy cleaning up the mess. 

Officials said it’s a good reminder to think about safety first especially heading into a busy weekend like Labor Day.

Sturgeon Bay Police Chief, Arleigh Porter, said, “Hopefully a lot of them have taken the boater safety courses that are available and know what to look for but certainly it’s a concern and cooking on a boat and certainly fueling are two that come to mind immediately.”

Last night’s incident won’t affect boaters from coming and going into the marina.

Copyright Copyright 2014 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.