Fireworks accident kills Indiana man

HENDERSON COUNTY, Kentucky - A 25-year-old man was killed in Kentucky when a firework exploded near his chest, according to the Henderson County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies said Monday night they responded to an accident where Michael Osborne was trying to set off aerial fireworks at a relative's home.

According to the Henderson County Coroner's Office, Osborne, who is from Salem, Indiana, was bending over a firework when it exploded near his chest.

The man was taken to Methodist Hospital where he was pronounced dead shortly later.

Osborne's cause of death was blunt force trauma, according to the coroner's office.

Officials urge everyone to practice proper safety procedures when lighting fireworks.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, about 11,000 people were injured by fireworks last year. Four of them died from their injuries.

For more information on how to be safe, you can find information here: Fireworks Safety


More Stories

Don't Miss

  • Home for the Holidays 2017
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Storm Team 5 Skyview Network
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • WFRV Pro Football Challenge
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Your Local Experts
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Veterans Day Salutes
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Latest News