Lightning strike causes house fire in Outagamie County

ELLINGTON, Wis. - Two people are out of their home after a fire in Outagamie County.

The Ellington Fire Department says lightening struck a house on Valley View Drive in the Town Of Ellington around 1:30 A.M Thursday morning.

Two people were inside the home, both of whom were able to get out safely.

The lightning struck the gas meter on the side of the home and quickly spread to the attic.

Firefighter say it took several hours before they could put the fire out.

They add that weather conditions also made things more difficult, as the rain created mud and made the scene slick.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's Severe Weather Awareness Week, meaning many throughout the region and across the country are learning about safety in emergency weather situations. 

As local five's Elsa Robins reports, one local couple learned just how severe that weather can be, when lightening struck their house overnight. 

It's a situation that you don't expect to happen to you... when lightening strikes your house, causing a fire. 

"It was just an act of nature, I don't think it's anything that could be prevented. We were called this morning for a lightning strike on a gas meter," says Chief Jim Bentle of the Town of Ellington Fire Department.

The fire started Thursday morning around 1:30 AM at a home in the Ellington.

"It took about two hours to get the gas shut off because Wisconsin Gas could not find the mainline to feed the house," says Chief Bentle.

Two people were inside the home at the time of the lightening strike, both of whom managed to get out safely.

However, emergency responders say the severe weather conditions made it more difficult for those fighting the blaze.

"The ground is kind of muddy and slippery, so the firefighters have to be really extra careful with walking around with the hose lines and not tripping and falling," says Chief Bentle.

Firefighters say another headache was that there weren't any fire hydrants in the area.

That's why nearly 10 different fire departments were called in, to shuttle water to the scene.

"We do have a number of water supplies in the town so we went through different water supplies to get the water here. We never ran out of water," said the Chief.

The fire was under control in about two hours, and no one was injured.

Firefighters say the home is uninhabitable at this time.

The two people who lived in the home are being assisted by the Red Cross. 

 

More Stories

Don't Miss

  • LPGA
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Our Town 2017
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • June Dairy Month 2017
  • Your Local Experts
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Movie Listings
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News