Ilya Kaler is featured in the season-opening concert of Peninsula Music
Festival in Fish Creek in
The festival is in its 61st season. Nine concerts will be performed over three weeks in Door Community Auditorium at Fish Creek. Info: www.musicfestival.com.
Victor Yampolsky returns for his 28th season as conductor and music director.
Here is an overview of this week's concerts.
Tuesday, Aug. 6, "Festival Opening," Ilya Kaler, violin
- "The Star-Spangled Banner"
- Ludwig van Beethoven: "The Creatures of Prometheus Overture, Op. 43" Conducting is Daniel Black of the Emerging Conductor Program.
- Benjamin Britten: Violin Concerto No. 1, Op. 15. Soloist is Kaler, who is making his fifth appearance with the festival. The work was chosen to celebrate the centennial of the birth of Britten.
- Beethoven: "Symphony No. 3, Op. 55, E-flat Major ('Eroica')"
Thursday, Aug. 8, "Russian Wonders," Denise Djokic, cello
This concert starts a Thursday theme. Listeners will hear works from early, mature and late periods of three famous Russian composers, starting with Peter Illych Tchaikovsky. Compositions and will include slides from the composers' life, pictures of relevant places and people who influenced them in their creativity.
- Tchaikovsky: "Nocturne, Op.19, No. 4"
- Tchaikovsky: "Pezzo Capriccioso, Op. 62." Soloist is Djokic, who is making her second appearance with the festival.
- Tchaikovsky: "Variations on a Rococo Theme, Op. 33" - Tchaikovsky: "Manfred, Op. 58"
Saturday, Aug. 10, "A Tribute to Marvin Hamlisch," David Wroe, conductor, Lisa Vroman, soprano, Doug LaBrecque, tenor
This concert starts a Saturday theme of focusing on works of, or influential on, one composer.
- Hamlisch - Music from "The Swimmer"
- Hamlisch - "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows" Soloists:
Vroman and LaBrecque
- Hamlisch - "The Way We Were" Soloist: Vroman
- Leonard Bernstein - "Suite from
- Hamlisch - "Ordinary Miracles" Soloist: LaBrecque
- Hamlisch - "If You Really Knew Me" Soloist: LaBrecque
- Richard Rodgers - "Overture to
- Jule Styne - "Overture from Gypsy"
- Hamlisch - "They're Playing Our Song" Soloists: Vroman
- Hamlisch - "If You Remember Me" Soloist: LaBrecque
- Hamlisch - "Nothing" from "A Chorus Line" Soloist: Vroman
- Cole Porter - 'So in Love/I am So Loved" Soloist: Vroman
- Hamlisch - "What I Did for Love" from "A Chorus Line" Soloists: Vroman and Doug LaBrecque
- Hamlisch - "Overture to A Chorus Line"
People unfamiliar with the festival can find help at the frequently-asked-questions section on the festival's website.
Please email me at email@example.com.