De Pere students that created app to report bullying win national award

Doing the Right Thing

UPDATE: 

The De Pere students that created an app to report bullying have won the ‘Fan Favorite’ award for the Verizon Learning Innovative app challenge!

School officials say that due to a disqualification, the De Pere Middle School app concept, “Pass It On”, as the second highest vote receiver, was awarded. 

The students will receive a total of $20,000 from the Verizon Foundation for their school, and the opportunity to build their concepts into working apps with experts from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and an all-expenses-paid trip to the Technology Student Association (TSA) Conference in Orlando, Florida, in June 2017, according to a press release. 

Doing the Right Thing: De Pere students create app to report bullying

Students at De Pere Middle School need your help to win a national competition.

They have created the concept for an app that could curb bullying and reward kids for helping out.

“We had like 5 good ideas but we were still looking for that one great idea so we decided to do the Pass It On app” explains student Annika kennerhed.

The app idea allows students to report bullying or good deeds with a few simple clicks.

“Really as a middle school it is time for them to take accountability for their own actions, but compliment and reward others for what they are doing” says Heather Wright, Computer Literacy Teacher for De Pere Middle School.

Students say the app is a great way to report without being labeled a tattle tale. “If someone overheard you talking to an adult or whatever they would think you are a bad person, you tell on everyone” says student Amelia Sment.

The Pass It On app was created by a team of seven De Pere Middle School students. They submitted it to the Verizon innovative app challenge.

“Best in state got us $5.000 for stem to be used at the school. Each kid got a Verizon 10 tablet, so they were mostly excited about that” Wright explains.

After winning best in region, the students are now competing against schools across the nation to become the fan favorite.  Sment says “I was really overwhelmed because I did not know we would get this far”.

If enough people vote – the students will win $15,000 more for De Pere Middle School and an expert will help them turn their Pass It On concept into a working app. The students also win a trip to Florida for a tech conference.

“It is pretty cool to have your idea that close to being real” says student  Noah Bomberg.

As part of the challenge the students had to make two videos explaining their app. In addition to reporting the app is also for rewarding.

Their success is helping them realize that what you dream can be done. According to Bomberg, “I got into video production and editing and that is what I want to do”.

Kennerhed is also looking to the future saying “I would like to pursue a career in computer science and either make video games or code for Google”.

To help the students win text PASSITON to 22333. Make sure it is all one word, and check that auto correct does not change it.

You can vote just one time. The contest ends February 14.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Coronavirus News

More Coronavirus

Trending Stories

Your Local Election HQ

More Election

Local Sports

Kewaunee girls take commanding lead in Packerland, Notre Dame cruises past Bay Port

High School Sports Xtra: Notre Dame rolls in Game of the Week; Ashwaubenon pulls big upset

High School Sports Xtra: Local 5 Top 5 Plays, Ashwaubenon Team of the Week

High School Sports Xtra: Dorn breaks Seymour boys record

High School Hoops: Ashwaubenon upsets De Pere, favorites hold court in NEC

Dorn becomes Seymour boy's all-time leading scorer, St. Mary Catholic & Lourdes Academy cruise