RHINELANDER, Wis. (WFRV) – Organizers behind the Hodag Country Festival has decided to postpone this year’s festival after announcing earlier this week that it would be held as usual.
According to the Associated Press, the country music festival won approval from the Oneida County public safety committee to host the event from July 9 – 12, despite opposition from the county health department and the cancellation of similar large-scale events across the state and country due to the coronavirus pandemic. Festival organizers were told to implement 25 public safety measures, including providing masks for employees and volunteers and encouraging festival attendees to wear masks and practice social distancing.
Thursday, organizers announced they decided to postpone the 43rd Hodag Country Festival until July 8-11, 2021.
“Althought our entertainers, vendors, and many fest-goers were still hoping to participate in this year’s festival, we feel the safety of our community is more important,” organizers said in a statement.
“The possibility of having the Hodag Country Festival has created stress and division in the Rhinelander area, and we are sincerely apologetic for this. It was never our intent. The festival has always been about the community. We have been here for 43 years and have always supported the Northwoods area. Hodag hopes we can continue to have your support in the future,” the statement continued.
Uncertainty surrounding the coronavirus has caused numerous local events to be canceled:
- Algoma 2020 Sunday Farmer’s Market
- Appleton Old Car Show and Swap Meet
- Country USA
- The Door County Fair
- EAA AirVenture
- Fox Cities Butterfly Festival
- Green & Gold Charity Softball game
- The Green Lake County Fair
- Greenville Catfish Races and Concert
- Hodag Country Festival in Rhinelander
- igNight Market in Green Bay’s Broadway District
- The Iola Car Show
- The Kewaunee County Fair
- Rock USA
- Warrens Cranberry Festival
- The Winnebago County Fair
- Wisconsin State Fair
Some events will be held, with modifications, including:
- Appleton’s Octoberfest and License to Cruise
- The Brown County Fair
- The Fond du Lac County Fair
- The Outagamie County Fair
- The Shawano County Fair
- The Waupaca County Fair