(AP) – Republican leaders in four critical states won by President-elect Joe Biden say they won’t participate in a legally dubious scheme to flip their state’s electors to vote for President Donald Trump.
Their comments effectively shut down a half-baked plot some Republicans floated as a last chance to keep Trump in the White House.
State GOP lawmakers in Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin have all said they would not intervene in the selection of electors, who ultimately cast the votes that secure a candidate’s victory.
Several noted that such a move would violate state law and a vote of the people.
- President-elect Biden urges congress, Trump to pass COVID-19 relief, saying ‘Americans need help and they need it now’
- Wisconsin DHS reports 4,831 new positive COVID-19 cases, 77 virus-related deaths
- Wisconsin foster care numbers down during pandemic but help still needed
- Wisconsin flags at half-staff to honor nurse, EMT
- Got an Echo or Ring? Soon, Amazon will use them to share your internet with a new ‘Sidewalk’ network – unless you opt out