WFRV-TV, the CBS affiliate in the Green Bay/Appleton, WI market is seeking a forward thinking, energetic, and competitive journalist for the position of News Director in the 69th DMA. The successful candidate will be a hands-on leader who has a proven track record for mentoring, coaching, and developing talent, solid journalism skills, and a passion for delivering relevant daily news content across multiple platforms. The News Director must be proficient in daily news operations, budgeting, communicating with personnel, contract management, and collaborating with other department heads. Our coverage of local community events, local programming, and of the Green Bay Packers is a priority, with a vision for unique storytelling and content.
This is a great opportunity to join Nexstar Media Group, Inc. the largest local television broadcast station group in the US, with 199 stations across 116 television markets.
Additional Job Description:
• Manages all aspects of the News Department, including news, weather, sports, special programming, and special events production
• Plans and manages staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News Department.
• Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees.
• Develops news coverage strategy for the station and its website.
• Critiques newscasts daily to correct errors, improve coverage and provide mentoring feedback to news staff.
• Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being met.
• Ensures achievement of viewer rating goals.
• Determines news programming and evaluation of equipment needs to produce quality news programming.
• Maintains compliance with FCC regulations and Nexstar Guidance within the News Department
• Works with other senior station leaders to establish and reach station goals.
• Performs other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Minimum five years’ experience in news programming production, with at least three years’ experience in a leadership role.
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Experience establishing long-range objectives and specifying the strategies and actions to achieve them.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Experience preparing and maintaining departmental budgets.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand employee needs and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
WFRV-TV and Nexstar Media Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.