Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin
1 pound Brussels sprouts
2 slices turkey bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp butter, cubed
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Lightly grease a baking dish.
3. Pour lightly salted water into a large pot and bring to a boil.
4. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook uncovered until tender, about 8 minutes.
5. Drain, then immerse in ice water for several minutes until cold.
6. Drain and quarter. Set aside.
7. Place turkey bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
8. Reduce heat and stir in the Brussels sprouts, salt, and pepper.
10. Arrange bacon and Brussels sprouts on the prepared baking dish.
11. Pour cream evenly over the Brussels sprouts, then top with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Distribute pieces of butter over the bread crumbs.
12. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and heated through, 20 to 25 minutes.
-Full days' worth of vitamin C and K per cup
-Brussels sprouts are high in antioxidants to reduce oxidative stress and prevent chronic disease
-High in fiber (regulates blood sugar, keeps you full, helps with cholesterol)
-Turkey bacon is leaner than traditional bacon (less saturated fat, which is associated with high blood pressure and high cholesterol)
-Great source of protein
-Brussels sprouts are one of the best plant-based sources of omega 3 fatty acids
Part of the cruciferous family (kale, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage)
Bind to bile acids and this is what is believed to lower risk of cancer
Rich in minerals like copper, calcium, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus
Blanching Brussels sprouts for 5 minutes prior to cooking helps to remove the sulfurous odor that gives Brussels sprouts their distinctive brassica taste
Refrigerate in a sealed bag for up to a week
(WFRV) - El Gato Melendez of the Harlem Globetrotters stopped by the…
(WFRV) - Local band The Chocolateers treated us to music ahead of…
(Green Bay) - When you give gifts from the Green Bay Booyah! you show…