(WFRV) – Need some help getting a little creative in the kitchen ahead of Cince de Mayo?
The dietetic interns from UW-Green Bay have a great idea for a taco bowl. Here’s the recipe!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp)
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp chili powder (preferrably 1/2 Tbsp regular 1/2 Tbsp ancho chili powder)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 (12 oz) bags riced cauliflower, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 cup frozen corn, cooked according to package instructions (optional)
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup homemade* or store-bought pico de gallo
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Fresh cilantro and lime slices, (optional)
Heat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add garlic and saute 10 seconds, then add turkey and season lightly with salt and pepper (about 1/4 tsp each add more at the end as desired).
Cook, turning and breaking up turkey occasionally, until cooked through, 5 – 6 minutes.
Add in chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper and cook 20 seconds longer, while tossing.
Pour in chicken broth and tomato sauce, bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low and let simmer until sauce has reduced, about 3 – 5 minutes.
To assemble bowls divide rice cauliflower among bowls, top with turkey mixture, corn, cheese, avocados, pico, cilantro and serve with limes for spritzing.
*For homemade pico de gallo, in a bowl toss together 3 diced Roma tomatoes, 1/4 cup diced yellow onion, 1 small minced garlic clove, 2 Tbsp minced cilantro, 1 Tbsp lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.