Yield: 6 servings
• Cooking spray • 2 slices stale bread, crusts removed, cubed
• 1 ½ cup low fat milk, divided • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
• 1 large yellow onion, chopped • 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 lb. ground beef • 1 ½ Tbsp. curry powder
• 1 ½ tsp. turmeric, divided • 1/4 tsp. cumin
• 1/8 tsp. nutmeg • 1/8 tsp. cloves
• 1/8 tsp. allspice • 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
• 1/2 tsp. black pepper • 2 Tbsp. apricot jam
• 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar • 3 large eggs, divided
• 1 medium apple, diced • 1/4 cup dried apricots, finely diced
• 1/4 cup golden raisins • 6 bay leaves
• 2 Tbsp. slivered almonds
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a medium baking dish with cooking spray.
Place bread and ½ cup milk in a medium bowl and let soak for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until soft and translucent. Add ground beef and cook thoroughly. Add curry, 1 tsp. turmeric, cumin, nutmeg, cloves and allspice and cook for 2 minutes. Add ½ tsp. salt, pepper, apricot jam and cider vinegar and stir together.
Squeeze excess milk from the bread and add bread and 1 egg to the meat mixture. Stir thoroughly to combine.
Add apple, apricots and raisins and stir together. Place the meat mixture into prepared baking dish.
Combine 1 cup milk, 2 eggs, ¼ tsp. salt and ½ tsp. turmeric and whisk together. Pour evenly over the meat mixture. Place bay leaves and sprinkle slivered almonds on top.
Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until the mixture is set and top is golden brown. Serve warm.
*Per Serving: Calories 370, Total Fat 17g (Saturated 5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 145mg, Sodium 470mg, Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Total Sugars 18g, Includes 0g Added Sugars), Protein 23g, Vitamin D 6%, Calcium 15%, Iron 35%, Potassium 15%