(WFRV) – It’s National Chili Day and with so many variations on how to make this classic dish, the toppings are just as important.
Chef Koberstein from Sargento Foods stopped in with some ideas.
Slow Cooker Steak Chili With Beans
· 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
· 2 pounds braising steak – cut into 1 inch cubes
· 2 onions, chopped
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 green chile pepper
· 1 tsp chipotle in adobo sauce, chopped
· 1 large green pepper, chopped
· 2 tablespoons chili powder
· 1 tablespoon ground cumin
· 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
· 2 (29 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
· 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
Sargento Reserve Series Shredded 18 Month Natural Cheddar Cheese
Sargento 4 Cheese Mexican Fine Cut Natural Cheese
Sargento Shredded Cheddar Jack Natural Cheese
Diced Red Onion
Crushed Tortilla Chips
· Cut the beef into 1-inch cubes and season with salt and pepper.
· Place beef in slow cooker and turn it on low.
· Sprinkle the chili powder, garlic powder and cumin over the meat.
· Add onion and green pepper and chipotle in adobo sauce.
· Drain and rinse the cans of beans and add them to the slow cooker.
· Add tomatoes and sugar.
· Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
· Uncover and sir in the tomato paste.
· Check again for seasoning
Serve with Chili Garnish Bar
For more great recipes, head to sargento.com.