DE PERE, Wis. (WFRV) – A 21-year-old bicyclist is dead after being struck by a train in the City of De Pere on Sunday morning.
According to the De Pere Police Department, just before 8 a.m., police responded to the area of Reid Street and Bicentennial Park for a crash involving a bicyclist and train.
Officials say a preliminary investigation determined the bicyclist, identified as a 21-year-old man, was traveling westbound on Reid Street using the non-motorized pathway just south of Bicentennial Park.
Police note the pathway the bicyclist was on connects the 500 and 600 blocks of Reid Street and is crossed by railway tracks. The train, operated by CN Railway, was reported to be traveling northbound when it struck the victim.
Officials report the bicyclist died at the scene, as a result of his injuries and the crash remains under investigation at this time.
The De Pere Police Department write, “Our thoughts are with those impacted by this tragedy.”
- Fox Cities Performing Arts Center announces students representing Center Stage at Jimmy Awards
- NEW Zoo to host virtual celebration of World Otter Day
- Northeast Wisconsin Crisis Center set to move to new location
- Warren Gerds/Critic at Large: Review: Orchestra closes online season with grace in Sheboygan
- 2021 Menominee County Fair to start on July 15, event schedule released