Appleton kitchen fire damages home, displaces residents

Local News

Appleton firefighters responded to a report of kitchen fire in a residential home on the 1500 block of N. Outagamie Street in Appleton at approximately 4:38 p.m. on Thursday.

Officers from the Appleton Police Department were the first to arrive on scene, and they were able to remove one person from the home. Fire crews arrived shortly afterward and located a fire in the kitchen and the attic.  They were able to quickly extinguish the fire.

Two individuals were present in the home at the time of the fire. No one was injured.  The occupants have been displaced and are staying with relatives. There is no estimate on the damages.

According to the homeowner, an occupant was beginning preparation of dinner and had inadvertently turned on the rear burner of the stove instead of the intended front burner. A candle, which had been placed on the rear burner, ignited and spread the fire to the wall and cabinets around the stove. In an attempt to extinguish the fire, salt was thrown on the fire which did not extinguish the fire. An occupant then attempted to extinguish the fire with a residential fire extinguisher. The fire extinguisher was extremely old and failed to work. The fire then spread to the attic through an exhaust vent above the stove.

The AFD urges everyone to keep stove tops clear of any household items that could ignite and burn. Also, residential fire extinguishers should be replaced every few years, even if the “gauge” on the handle shows the unit is pressurized (the needle is in the ‘green’). If the gauge indicates the fire extinguisher has been depressurized (the needle is in the ‘red’), the fire extinguisher will not work.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Coronavirus News

More Coronavirus

Trending Stories

Your Local Election HQ

More Election

Local Sports

High School Sports Xtra 9/20: Fall Preview with Ricardo Arguello

Notre Dame opens with shutout win over Kaukauna

WPGA Championship wraps up at Green Bay Country Club, Smith shoots 68 to win

HSSPX: Clintonville's Wederath defies blindness to take court

High School Sports Xtra - Area Football Previews

Green and Gold Game Day - Picks and Final Thoughts