THURSDAY 9/2/2021 2:24 p.m.
APPLETON, Wis. (WFRV) – Ascension St. Elizabeth provided an update surrounding the incident involving a potential chemical gas release that was reported on Thursday morning.
According to Ascension St. Elizabeth, at 9 a.m. on Thursday, they implemented their emergency response procedures after evidence of a chemical gas release was discovered in the northwest portion of the hospital.
Due to safety reasons, 13 patients were taken to other local hospitals while the Appleton Fire Department was called in to check the air quality. Officials say that there was limited exposure to associates, who were immediately treated for minor symptoms and released. No serious injuries were reported.
Just over two hours after the incident was first reported, fire personnel remediated the situation and managed the air quality. Evacuation and diversion measures were lifted at around 11:15 a.m. Normal operations have since resumed.
“We would like to thank our associates, local authorities, and first responders for their professionalism in handling this event,” said Michael Bergmann, Regional Hospital President, Fox Valley, Ascension Wisconsin. “Our highest priority is the safety and well-being of our associates and the patients and communities we are privileged to serve.”
Ascension St. Elizabeth medical personnel staff reenter facility after evidence of a chemical gas release
THURSDAY 9/2/2021 11:48 a.m.
APPLETON, Wis. (WFRV) – Ascension St. Elizabeth medical personnel have reentered the building and resumed normal operations after there was evidence of a chemical gas release on Thursday morning.
According to officials, the medical facility is resuming normal operations after evidence of a chemical gas release was reported at around 9 a.m.
No further information is available at this time, Local 5 will continue to follow this story as it progresses.
Original Story: Authorities respond to suspected gas leak at Ascension St. Elizabeth
THURSDAY 9/2/2021 11:08 a.m.
APPLETON, Wis. (WFRV) – Ascension St. Elizabeth had to use its emergency response procedures after evidence of a chemical gas release.
According to officials, the incident happened around 9 a.m. Ascension is working with the Appleton Fire Department to control the situation.
At this time there is no information on any damages or injuries.
There will be more information released later today.
Local 5 will update this story as more information is released.