Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary has revealed the eagle that died after being rescued in Kaukauna’s La Follette Park on February 14 died of lead poisoning.
After it died, a necropsy was performed and tissue samples were sent to an animal diagnostic lab for analysis. The results of the lab test showed it had very high levels of lead poisoning that caused it’s death.
“The levels of lead that were found in this eagle were many times higher than the normal amount that an eagle can live with,” explained Mike Reed, Wildlife Sanctuary Director. “Since we have no knowledge of the eagle’s history, we cannot say with certainty how the eagle ended up with such high levels of lead. We do know from previous experiences that animals who scavenge off deer or other animal carcasses that have been killed with lead shot can become poisoned from ingesting even small pieces of lead bullet fragments.”
If you see an injured or sick animal in the wild, call the Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary at 920-391-3685.