Oconto Fire Rescue is reminding people to check their vent pipes on their homes.
Fire officials say drifting snow tends to accumulate up against houses and could potentially plug exhaust vents and cause exhaust to back-up into your home filling it with carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide is an invisible, tasteless, odorless, undetectable poisonous gas that cannot be detected by human senses.
Dubbed the “silent killer,” carbon monoxide claims more than 2,000 lives each year and sends more than 40,000 people to the emergency room in the U.S. alone.
At high concentrations, carbon monoxide can be fatal within minutes. CO results when there is an improper and/or inefficient burning of natural gas, fuel oil, or propane for home heating.
Customers who experience flu-like symptoms only when at home should arrange for a carbon monoxide check from their local emergency agency immediately.
Customers who are not already using a carbon monoxide detector should strongly consider purchasing one, said WPS officials