DE PERE, Wis. (WFRV) – Students at De Pere’s Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School celebrated the Chinese New Year on Thursday.
The school offers students an opportunity to study Mandarin – the second most common language in the world.
During the celebration, students in that program learned more about the Chinese culture by taking part in their New Year celebration.
“They learn how to speak their language, which is important, but I think what’s most important is that they understand the culture,” says Jeff Young, principal at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School. “We’re asking these young people to be the leaders of our country in 30 years and they have to understand the culture as well as speak the language.”
- Transformation House highlights need for transitional housing
- Green Bay Water Utility on track to remove all lead pipes by end of 2020
- Green Bay Southwest High School students aim to tackle perch problem with aquaponics program
- Police: 5 dead after gunman opened fire at Milwaukee brewery complex
- No new confirmed cases of coronavirus in Wisconsin, risk of spread remains low