The quick thinking of a neighbor helped minimize the damage to a Manitowoc home that caught fire Sunday, according to the Manitowoc Fire Rescue Department (MFRD).
At 8:31 a.m. Sunday, August 12 MFRD responded to a house fire in the 900 Block of Rosemere Circle. A neighbor called 911 to report that they saw smoke coming from the structure.
When crews arrived smoke was seen coming from the home. No one was home at the time, according to MFRD.
The fire was found in the basement of the home. Crews performed an interior attack on the fire and it was quickly extinguished.
MFRD determined the fire started in the basement with smoke damage on the first floor of the home. The cause appears to have been a mechanical issue with a dehumidifier.
The cost of the damage from the fire is not yet known.
Fire crews were on the scene for one and half hours. MFRD was assisted by the Manitowoc Police Department, Manitowoc Public Utilities, and WPS. The Two Rivers Fire Department provided an ALS ambulance, along with Silver Creek and Rockwood Fire and off duty MFRD personnel to back fill the city Fire and EMS services during this event.
MFRD credits the action of the neighbor for recognizing the smoke coming from the roof of the home and calling for the fire rescue department. The callers’ actions minimized the severity of the fire and allowed crews to perform quick action to suppress the fire, according to MFRD.