Door County House Considered Total Loss After Fire

Local News
BUG fire department_1528212751828.jpg.jpg

A house is considered a total loss after a fire broke out just before 1:30 a.m. Tuesday at 1367 County Road XC, according to Brussels-Union-Gardner Fire Chief Curt Vandertie.

Vandertie says flames and heavy smoke were visible from the roof once crews arrived. He says several adults and two children were able to get out safely upon their arrival.

Vandertie says a total of nine dogs were housed inside. Crews were able to rescue three of them from the blaze, and found the other six outside in the surrounding area. Three cats and a pet rabbit were also rescued, but several cats remain unaccounted for. 

Vandertie says they’re still determining the cause of the fire. He added that there were conflicting reports if the smoke detectors were working at the time. He says there was no sound coming from them once crews arrived on scene.

The Red Cross is assisting those affected.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Coronavirus News

More Coronavirus

Trending Stories

Your Local Election HQ

More Election

Local Sports

Hallum's hat trick leads Gamblers past Chicago

Conference contenders dominate in girls basketball openers

Phoenix set to begin Will Ryan Era against Minnesota

High School Sports Xtra: Girls Basketball primer, Local 5 Top 5

High School Sports Xtra: Football playoffs wrap up with Level 2

Xtra Point: Level 2 High School Football Playoffs