Five Rescued from Ashwaubenon House Fire

Local News
IMG_1298_1544546032735.jpg

Five people and two animals are safe after being rescued from the basement of their Ashwaubenon home after a passerby noticed the structure was on fire.

That passerby, who just so happens to be the Chaplain for the Green Bay Fire Department, noticed smoke pouring from the garage of the home, and called authorities at around 8:45 a.m. Tuesday.

Fire crews arrived on scene to the 900 block of Marvelle Lane, and located the five people who called the residence home.

Some of them were hiding from the smoke in the home’s basement, including Craig Waters, his girlfriend, and his dog.

Waters told Local 5 that he retreated to the basement after realizing how intense the blaze upstairs was.

“When I seen the orange flames on the bottom of the door, I know this was a major fire going on,” he said. “I thought, there’s no way to go back that way.”

“Firefighters actually went into the basement where they were kind of corralled in a back room,” Ashwaubenon Public Safety Capt. Jody Crocker told Local 5. “They broke out some windows and then helped them up through the basement windows.”

Two animals were also rescued from the home.

The five residents of the home, all adults, were treated on scene.

Fire crews told Local 5 that damage estimates are not yet available, but believe the house is most likely a total loss.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories