(WFRV) Governor Tony Evers has ordered flags to fly at half-staff on Tuesday, January 5.
The Executive Order orders all flags of the United States and the State of Wisconsin to be flown at half-staff in honor of former Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice Shirley Abrahamson.
Chief Justice Abrahamson passed away on December 19 at the age of 87.
In a statement, Governor Evers gave his thoughts on the legacy she leaves, “Chief Justice Abrahamson was a first—the first woman to serve on the Wisconsin Supreme Court and the first woman to serve as chief justice. Yet, her legacy is defined not just by being a first, but her life’s work of ensuring she would not be the last, paving and lighting the way for the many women and others who would come after her.”
The order goes into effect on Tuesday, from sunrise to sunset.
A private memorial service will be held for Abrahamson on that day as well.
- Police arrest man trying to enter D.C. security checkpoint with loaded gun, fake inauguration credentials
- Colder air arrives late next week
- Packers heading back to NFC Championship game after win over Rams
- LIVE BLOG: Packers face off against the Rams
- Wisconsin DHS reports highest single-day COVID-19 death toll to date