The Green Bay Metro Fire Department says careless use of smoking materials led to a fire at the Woodland Park Apartments off University Avenue on Monday around 6:26 p.m.
The department says the fire happened inside a closet in one of the apartments, with one person and two cats being displaced. They were able to stay across the hall. No injuries were reported.
The department says the sprinkler system was activated and contained and extinguished the fire in the room.
Damage is estimated around $20,000. The GBMFD reminds everyone to dispose of smoking materials with care and in an approved container.