TUESDAY, 11/29/2022, 8:17 p.m.
GREEN BAY, Wis. (WFRV) – The Green Bay Police Department has given the all-clear, and the gas leak on the 500 block of Edgewood Drive is now over.
The department was sent to the residence around 4:30 p.m. for a gas leak report at a condemned home. The incident had officials advise nearby neighbors to evacuate.
On the scene, it was confirmed by Wisconsin Public Service that a significant reading of gas was coming from the residence, and a male party was believed to be inside.
Police contacted the 63-year-old male, who was later identified as the homeowner. He was cooperative with the police and evacuated the residence on his own accord.
The source of the gas leak is believed to have been coming from an unlit gas stove.
The home had been condemned due to unsafe living conditions.
The scene was cleared, and all streets reopened around 7:00 p.m. with no further concerns for elevated gas readings inside or around the home.
The investigation is ongoing, and no additional details have been provided.
UPDATE: Gas leak in Green Bay still active, statement provided on why most got an emergency alert
TUESDAY, 11/29/2022, 6:30 p.m.
GREEN BAY, Wis. (WFRV) – The gas leak in Green Bay is still active at this time. However, Brown County Emergency Management (BCEM) stated why multiple counties received the emergency alert.
According to BCEM, an emergency IPAWS alert was sent out this evening to a specific mapped area in their CodeRED software (only 10-15 houses).
The 911 Center then received calls from all over Brown County, stating people received the alert, so the warning was canceled.
“We have already reached out to Wisconsin Emergency Management to see if we can get answers as to why the software failed in this manner. Thank you for understanding.”
No further information was provided, and crews remain on the scene dealing with the active gas leak.
HAPPENING NOW: Gas leak on 500 block of Edgewood Drive in Green Bay
TUESDAY, 11/29/2022, 5:45 p.m.
GREEN BAY, Wis. (WFRV) – The Green Bay Police Department reports an active gas leak at a residence on the 500 block of Edgewood Drive in Green Bay.
Those who reside on the 500 block of Edgewood Drive are asked to evacuate immediately for their safety. This means all people and pets.
Officers say they will update the public when it is safe to return to their homes. However, there is no immediate danger to the general public now.
Many residents were startled when an emergency alert came in; some in Outagamie County even received said message.
The Outagamie County Sheriff’s Office says their 911 center “is being flooded with calls from folks in Outagamie County who received this alert.”
This is a developing story, and Local 5 News will update this when more details are available.