Many people voiced concerns over not being notified of severe weather early Sunday morning.
The National Weather Service issued a tornado warning early Sunday and many people said on Facebook Live that their phone never went off.
Here is how to make sure those alerts are turned on for iOS users:
On an iPhone, head to the settings menu.
From there, tap on the Notifications.
Scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see ‘Government Alerts.’ Both Amber and Emergency Alerts will be listed. Make sure the Emergency Alerts is turned on so that can receive severe weather alerts.
Once it is turned on, you will now receive alerts like Tornado Warnings for your location.
For most cell phones, the Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) are already turned on. If you have a WEA-enabled phone, you are automatically enrolled for the three alerts: President, Imminent Threat and AMBER Alerts, according to the U.S. Department of Justice Website.The addition of these alerts to this notification system is a result of a partnership between CTIA and the wireless industry, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), according to the site. To see if your phone is included, click here.
And for Android users, according to PhoneTipz.com, depending on your device, it can be located in different places:
- Open “Settings” icon on the Home screen.
- Tap “More“.
- Select “Wireless & Networks“.
- Choose “Cell Broadcast settings“.
- Uncheck or check the following options as desired: Show extreme threats, Show severe threats, Show AMBER alerts, Vibrate
Some Android versions may have these settings in this location:
- From the Home screen, select “Apps” and open “Settings“.
- Tap “More“.
- Choose “Emergency broadcasts“.
On most devices, you’ll find the Emergency Alert option within the settings for the Messaging app.
- Open “Messaging“.
- From the main screen where all your message threads are listed, press “Menu” (3 dots at the corner of the screen) and select “Settings“.
- Select “Emergency Alerts“.
- Uncheck the alerts you don’t want to hear.You can disable “Extreme alerts“, “Severe alerts” or “Amber alerts“. You cannot disable Presidential Alerts.
You can also get alerts by downloading the free Storm Team 5 app.