MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Longtime Republican state lawmaker Luther Olsen will not seek re-election.
Olsen is a moderate in the Republican majority who survived a 2011 recall attempt and served as head of the Senate’s Education Committee.
Olsen turns 70 on Wednesday.
He announced Monday that he will step down after serving 16 years in the Senate representing a south-central Wisconsin district that includes all or portions of nine counties, from Dane in the south to Waupaca in the north.
Moments after he announced his decision, Republican Rep. Joan Ballweg, of Markesan, said that she would run to replace him.
- Sturgeon Bay business shifts gears to make masks and gowns in response to COVID-19
- The Appleton mayoral election and the candidates looking to lead the city
- Neenah uses single polling location for spring primary election
- Sheboygan closes areas in community where social distancing is tough
- Wisconsin Department of Transporation further restricts all in-person services at DMV Service Centers