MARINETTE COUNTY, Wis. (WFRV) – Sex offenders are reportedly being scammed, according to the Marinette County Sheriff’s Office.
The Sheriff’s Office says sex offenders are being contacted by telephone, told they are in non-compliance, and that they owe money.
Scammers then tell the sex offenders that they must call a telephone number that takes them to a recording posing as the Sheriff’s Office.
Authorities say neither the Sheriff’s Office or the Department of Corrections will make these calls.
The Sheriff’s Office says they continue to investigate the scam. The public is reminded not to send money or provide personal information to anyone over the phone.
- Sturgeon Bay business shifts gears to make masks and gowns in response to COVID-19
- The Appleton mayoral election and the candidates looking to lead the city
- Neenah uses single polling location for spring primary election
- Sheboygan closes areas in community where social distancing is tough
- Wisconsin Department of Transporation further restricts all in-person services at DMV Service Centers