UPDATED AT 12:15 P.M.: One De Pere resident is safe after being rescued from their burning home early this morning.

Crews were dispatched to a home at the corner of Oak and N. Eighth Street just after 2:00 this morning in response to a fire. The call came from a passerby who happened to notice smoke and flames coming out of a second story window.

Thanks to the call and a quick response from police, the single resident of the home was able to make it out alive.

Law enforcement, today, was really the true hero this morning, said Fire Chief Alan Matzke, De Pere City Fire Department. They arrived on-scene first, they were able to alert the resident that was sleeping on the first floor that there was some trouble. They woke the resident and assisted them out of the house.

Officials say minimal damage was done on the first floor while the second was left scorched. A second story window completely disintegrated.

As recovery begins, crews remain on-scene to investigate how the fire began. Fox River Fire District- De Pere, Ashwaubenon, Lawrence and Hobart County Rescue all responded to the fire.

Once we do the investigation and determine the cause, an origin to the fire, then we’ll have our building officials come through and really assess the building for structural integrity before insurance adjusters and everyone else gets back in, said Matzke.

Officials say no one was injured and the homeowner is staying with family. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.


ORIGINAL STORY: A house fire broke out just before 2 o’clock Monday morning at N. Eighth and Oak Street.

The De Pere Fire Department says a passerby noticed smoke coming from the home and called 9-1-1. One person was inside at the time sleeping and had to be rescued by police who were the first to respond on-scene. That person is now staying with family. 

Officials add that the fire happened on the second floor of the house, with minimal damage on the outside. The house is considered uninhabitable. 

The fire has since been put out and is no longer active.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation. Stay with Local 5 for updates on this developing story.