Officials Remind Residents to Use Cooking Appliances Outdoors and to Install Smoke Detectors

Local News
appleton fire department _-3228307678166365693

The Appleton Fire Department responded to a call about a garage fire Sunday afternoon.

The fire happened in a garage attached to a residence on N Outagamie Street in Appleton.

Officials say the cause of the fire was from a propane camp stove being used too close to combustible items.  The stove ended up igniting the combustible items.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the garage and there was only minor smoke damage to the house.

There were 12 to 14 people in the house who all escaped safely.

One female sustained minor injuries while trying to extinguish the fire.  There were no other injuries reported.

The residence also did not have any smoke detectors.  Officials are reminding the community to install smoke detectors in homes, along with advising people to use cooking appliances outdoors.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.