A family and their six pets are currently without a home as their apartment in Two Rivers was set on fire by a metal coffee can used as a cigarette butt container.
At around 4:45 p.m. on Monday, Two Rivers fire crews were sent to 1814 19th Street for reports of a fire. Upon arrival, a small fire was seen on the exterior of the apartment complex. The fire contained within 20 minutes and six pets (four cats, one bird and one guinea pig) were rescued from the apartment. Nobody else was in the apartment at the time.
Upon investigation, it was concluded that teh fire began in a metal coffee can used as a cigarette butt container. The fire then extended to the siding and burned through the floor to the basement.
Red Cross will be helping the family with temporary living arrangements. Others living in the apartment complex are able to stay in their homes. The damage is estimated to be $15,000.