Spring Turkey Hunting Season Opens in Wisconsin

Local News
Area Kids Learn To Turkey Hunt_-8855141898525325145

Hunters around the state are putting on their camouflage and heading into the field as the 2018 spring turkey hunting season has officially begun.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is reminding hunters of key factors in order to stay safe when hunting. According to the DNR, 80 percent of accidents during turkey hunting seasons involve hunters mistaking other hunters for game, or hunters failing to positively identify the target. Meanwhile, the other 20 percent of accidents are self-inflicted, usually when a hunter violates one of the four firearm safety rules, which are: Always treat every firearm as if it’s loaded, always point the muzzle in a safe direction, be sure of your target and what’s beyond it, and keep your finger outside of the trigger guard until ready to shoot.

It’s also important to where blaze orange while hunting since it will help other hunters identify you as another hunter.

Here are some other simple rules that the DNR suggests for a safe and successful hunt:

  • Identify your target; it’s not a good enough reason to take a shot when a hunter only thinks they are seeing a legal target.
  • Do not shoot at sound and movement.
  • Be certain of your target, what’s in front of it and beyond it.
  • Avoid wearing red, white and blue. These colors are also shared by gobblers.
  • Use gobble calls only to locate a tom, not to attract one. Some other hunter might think you’re a turkey.
  • Keep hands and head camouflaged when calling.
  • Never carry or move an uncovered decoy.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Coronavirus News

More Coronavirus

Trending Stories

Your Local Election HQ

More Election

Local Sports

Papermakers fall in Division One state title game against

Discipline and preparation carries Kimberly boys basketball into state championship game

Xavier's upset bid falls short in Division 2 semifinals against Onalaska

Wrightstown falls to Racine St. Catherine's in first state appearance

Lourdes wins division four state basketball championship

Kimberly boys basketball brings confidence to Division I state tournament