GREEN BAY AREA REGIONAL NEWS: Brown County

THEN & NOW: An interactive look around the Green Bay area

From the Local 5 Digital Desk

(WFRV) – As Green Bay and the surrounding area continues to grow and evolve – from the Shipyard District to the construction of a new expo center – WFRV Local 5 took a look at what the area used to look like.

Below, photos provided by the Neville Public Museum are compared side-by-side with photos of the same building or location now.

To interact with the images, click and hold the white bar in the center of each image, and move the cursor left and right.

Mobile app users may be unable to view the interactives below. If so, click here.

C.A. Lawton Building in De Pere

Featured above is the C.A. Lawton Company. Once located at 233 North Broadway Street in De Pere, the C.A. Lawton Co. opened its doors in 1891. The building operated as a foundry through 1971 before functioning as an office building until 1990.

The C.A. Lawton building now functions as townhomes. C.A. Lawton is now located on Enterprise Drive in De Pere.

PHOTO: The Neville Public Museum of Brown County, #18.1988.7059. Order a reproduction of this photo at http://photos.nevillepublicmuseum.org/p45648362.

100 South Washington Street

From left to right, the Strand Theater, Green Bay Specialty Company, and Burroughs Adding Machine Co. were three of the businesses located along the east side of Washington Street in 1921. The building with the cupola was the headquarters of Fire Station No. 1.

By 1930, the buildings between the Strand and Burroughs had been demolished to make way for the Fox Theater, later renamed the Bay Theater, and now known as the Meyer Theater.

PHOTO: The Otto Stiller Collection of the Neville Public Museum of Brown County, Photo #6209.130. Order a reproduction of this photo at http://photos.nevillepublicmuseum.org.

Mason Bros. Red Owl

Featured above is the Mason Brothers Red Owl at 923 9th Street. The photo on the left was taken in 1987. Mervin and Jared Mason purchased the franchised store in 1969 and opened the first Red Owl in Green Bay, seen here. Currently, Mason Brothers is one of the smallest grocery retailers in the Green Bay area and is the only surviving original Red Owl brand store in the U.S.

PHOTO: The Collection of the Neville Public Museum of Brown County, 10.2007.114 Order a reproduction of this photo at http://photos.nevillepublicmuseum.org/p45648362

George Street in De Pere

Here is a look eastward on De Pere’s George Street. The photo on the left was taken in the winter of 1960. De Pere Cinema can be seen on the left and can still be found its location. However, the “Sis n Butch” is now McGeorge’s, and the Post Office has moved.

PHOTO: The Press-Gazette Collection of the Neville Public Museum of Brown County, 27.1988.12765.A1. Order a reproduction of this photo at http://photos.nevillepublicmuseum.org/p45648362

Preble Water Department

Featured here is the Preble Water Department ca. 1960. It was located at 1817 Deckner Avenue. The building can still be found there today. The building now houses Pinnacle Consulting Group LLC.

PHOTO: The Neville Public Museum of Brown County, #59.1990.53. Order a reproduction of this photo at http://photos.nevillepublicmuseum.org/p45648362

Main Street Businesses

On the left, gentlemen are seen posing in front of Grimmer Drug Store and Johnson Fish Market in this 1920s photograph. Fred Grimmer owned the drug store and John, Axel, and Samuel Johnson operated the Johnson Fish Market. The Fish Market was located at 1234 Main Street and the Drugstore was located at 1236 Main St. The address of the Grimmer Drug Store is now in use by Mint Salon.

PHOTO: The Henry Lefevbre Collection of the Neville Public Museum of Brown County, #18.1988.702. Order a reproduction of this photo at http://photos.nevillepublicmuseum.org/p45648362

Zuider Zee Supper Club

Seen above, the Dutch styled supper club Zuider Zee on the left was located at 1860 University Avenue. Zuider Zee was an attraction because of its unique style, entertainment, and air conditioning. This once-popular supper club has since been replaced by Gipper’s Sports Bar.

PHOTO: The Henry Lefebvre Collection of the Neville Public Museum of Brown County, 18.1988.1441. Order a reproduction of this photo at http://photos.nevillepublicmuseum.org/p45648362

Courthouse Square

Once an empty lot, as seen on the left, this location looking toward the intersection of Walnut and Adams Street is now home to the Brown County Courthouse, as well as other government buildings. The photo on the left also shows the Green Bay Business College on the far right, now the site of the Northern Building.

PHOTO: The Neville Public Museum of Brown County, #31.1992.2. Order a reproduction of this photo at http://photos.nevillepublicmuseum.org/p45648362.

De Groot’s Bar

The photo above on the left shows De Groot’s Bar, which was located at the Southwest corner of Pearl and West Walnut streets at 301 West Walnut. The building was constructed in the late 1880s and featured the logo for O’ Van Dycke Brewing Co. at the top. While Van Dyke Brewing Co. was in business, establishments like De Groot’s Bar would be considered a “tied house.” A tied house was a bar or tavern that was required to buy at least some of its beer from a particular brewery or pub company. U.S. saloons were often tied houses in the late 18th and 19th centuries. The exclusive contracts between breweries and drinking establishments often helped prospective saloon owners get their start. The open lot that was once home to De Groot’s Bar is now for sale.

PHOTO: The Henry Lefevbre Collection of the Neville Public Museum of Brown County, #18.1988.1534. Order a reproduction of this photo at http://photos.nevillepublicmuseum.org/p45648362.

PG Marquette Shopping Center

Built in the mid-1950s, the shopping center seen above was located in the 1100 block of West Mason. At the time, tenants included the Sure Way grocery store, Krider’s Pharmacy, Marquette Bakery, Pappy’s Liquor, and the Marquette Five and Dime. Today, Krider’s is at the same location, while the Salvation Army utilizes a major portion of the shopping center.

PHOTO: The Press-Gazette Collection of the Collection of the Neville Public Museum of Brown County, #PG Marquette Shopping Center, September 13, 1956. Order a reproduction of this photo at http://photos.nevillepublicmuseum.org/p45648362.

Last year, WFRV Local 5 took a look through the archives of WFRV Local 5, including how our logos have changed. Check out the story below:

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Coronavirus News

More Coronavirus

Trending Stories

Your Local Election HQ

More Election

Local Sports

Baseball cancellations have area umpires feeling "blue"

Thumbnail for the video titled "Baseball cancellations have area umpires feeling "blue""

Andrew Brandt on the drafting of Jordan Love

Thumbnail for the video titled "Andrew Brandt on the drafting of Jordan Love"

Incoming Badgers' lineman Bortolini prepares for next step

Thumbnail for the video titled "Incoming Badgers' lineman Bortolini prepares for next step"

"The Driveway" basketball training facility pushes through pandemic

Thumbnail for the video titled ""The Driveway" basketball training facility pushes through pandemic"

Timber Rattlers Erickson talks shortened spring, hopes for a season

Thumbnail for the video titled "Timber Rattlers Erickson talks shortened spring, hopes for a season"

WIR's "Test and Tune" fills drag strip

Thumbnail for the video titled "WIR's "Test and Tune" fills drag strip"