Unattended cooking is the cause of an apartment fire that displaced several families at 474 West Scott Street around 1:52 p.m. on Monday.
Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue says that they responded to reports of smoke coming from the kitchen cabinets. Once they arrived, heavy smoke was visible and crews began to search the building while trying to put the fire out.
Firefighters rescued two people from the second story apartments. Once they entered the first floor apartment, they found heavy fire and smoke in the kitchen area. The fire was contained to the apartment, but multiple units suffered smoke damage.
EMS personnel assessed three residents for smoke inhalation. Two were released at the scene and one was transported to the hospital.
The American Red Cross was contacted to help the families that were displaced.
Pictures provided by FDL Fire/Rescue.