UPDATE: Police have identified the 4-year-old Clintonville girl who died after her father lit Sparkler-type fireworks in a metal tube, which then exploded.
Alyssa Chmielewski died after the overnight explosion on Hughes Street.
Police who arrived first say she was severely injured as a result of the explosion.
A four-year-old girl is dead following an overnight fireworks explosion on Hughes Street in Clintonville.
Police say they were first dispatched to the area of Wilson Street for reports of a loud explosion at 10:29 p.m. Monday night. Just a minute later, an ambulance was dispatched to Hughes Street, which is in the same area.
Officers who arrived on scene found a four-year-old girl who had been severely injured as a result of a fireworks explosion.
Police say that the girl’s father, a 42-year-old Clintonville man, had placed a number of “sparkler type” fireworks in a metal tube. Once the configuration was lit, it exploded, leaving the child with severe injuries to the neck and upper spine area.
The girl died at the scene as a result of her injuries.
Officials say the investigation is ongoing, and that an autopsy will be conducted on the body of the girl.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.