WASHINGTON ISLAND, Wis. (WFRV) – A hunter has accidentally shot and killed himself on the North end of Washington Island.
According to the Washington Island Police, they heard about the shooting around 5 p.m. from the Door County Communications Center.
Through preliminary investigations, police say the hunter accidentally shot himself while he was exiting a ground blind.
Officers have identified the hunter as 65-year-old Steven Hoogester of West Bend. The Associated Press confirms that Hoogester is West Bend District 6 alderman.
The Washington Department of Natural Resources continues to investigate the incident along with the Brown County Medical Examiner’s Office, says authorities.
Police say the hunters death remains under investigation at this time.
- Summerfest announces 2021 headliners, includes Luke Bryan, Miley Cyrus
- Off/on rain chances, and chilly days ahead
- CDC research projects COVID’s toll on US will dip sharply by end of July
- Green Bay Police respond to weapons call, says not a random act
- Northeast Wisconsin natives Dietzen, Heim get shot as undrafted free agents