Workers at the A.P. Nonweiler building in Oshkosh safely evacuated following a fire Monday night.
At 6:08 p.m., the Oshkosh fire department received a call for a fire alarm sounding and smoke filling a building at 3321 County Road A. The company’s employees had already evacuated once fire crews arrived.
There was heavy smoke and some flame visible in part of the building, but the facility’s sprinkler system was able to contain the fire enough for firefighters to quickly extinguish any flames.
The water from the sprinkler system reportedly got into some Titanium dioxide that was being stored near the location of the fire. Although it’s completely harmless, the Titanium dioxide might create a white residue on the ground and in nearby waterways.
The fire was started by static electricity igniting Toluene, which was being transferred into a mixing tank. Fortunately, no injuries were reported.