MANITOWOC, Wis. (WFRV) – Manitowoc County Deputy Jonathon Schwede was commended on Monday night after helping save a motorcyclist’s life during an incident in May.
According to the Manitowoc Police Department, on May 30, police were dispatched to County Road CR and Viebahn Street for a motorcycle versus truck accident.
Deputy Jonathon Schwede was said to have been the first to arrive at the scene and found the motorcyclist to have suffered a traumatic leg injury.
Recognizing the severity of the injury as well as having concern about the amount of blood loss, Deputy Schwede quickly applied a tourniquet to the patient’s leg.
Officials say Deputy Schwede’s quick action during the incident had a positive outcome on the patient’s life.
As a result of Schwede’s heroic actions, during Monday night’s Common Council meeting, he was nominated by the Fire Rescue Chief Todd Blaser and Police Chief Nick Reimer to receive a commendation from Mayor Justin Nickels.
The Manitowoc Police Department writes, “Thank you Deputy Schwede for controlling a potentially life-threatening situation with your commendable decision making and tactical efforts.”
- Warren Gerds/Critic at Large: One and one and one and one = a fantastic four in Wisconsin theater
- Purple Porch Project: Raising awareness about domestic violence
- Dry stretch with warmer air on the way
- De Pere home construction is building back strong from the pandemic
- Package containing ricin and addressed to Trump intercepted by law enforcement