(WFRV) – The Wisconsin Badgers will get to hold on to Paul Bunyan’s Axe for another year without having to defend it on the field. According to a report by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, this year’s game will not be played this weekend.
The Pioneer Press out of St. Paul, Minn. has since confirmed the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s report that the game has been called off.
Last week Minnesota was reportedly short 20 players for their home game against Purdue. The Gophers then called off practice on Monday due to COVID-19 concerns.
There has been no official word from either program about the status of the game set for this Saturday at Camp Randall.
Earlier this season Wisconsin canceled games against Nebraska and Purdue due to a COVID-19 outbreak within the program. As a result the Badgers have been eliminated from Big Ten Championship Game contention because they will unable to play the minimum amount of games to qualify.
- President-elect Biden announces picks for science team as security tightens ahead of inauguration
- LIVE BLOG: Packers face off against the Rams
- Wisconsin DHS reports highest single-day COVID-19 death toll to date
- WATCH: Packers fans ready for Saturday’s playoff game at Lambeau Field
- Some in the GOP parrot far-right talk of a coming civil war