GREEN BAY, Wis. (WFRV)
A few notable ships are dropping anchor and heading ashore for the Nicolet Bank Tall Ships festival this weekend.
Green Bay will be one of only 11 ports in North America and one of 7 in the U.S. to host the tall ships. It’s part of the Tall Ships Challenge Great Lakes 2019 Race Series. A total of 9 vessels will be docked on the Fox River at Leicht Memorial Park for boat enthusiasts and the public to admire throughout the weekend.
As part of the festival, attendees can take dockside tours of the ships to learn the history of each and even meet the crew. Sailing ships will even offer the experience of setting sail down the Fox River to the mouth of the bay.
“It’s a chance for people, when they buy the ticket, they get on the festival grounds, they can partake in what every festival has: food music, and fun,” said Terry Charles of PMI Entertainment Group. “But you also can get on those ships and actually tour them, walk around them and talk with the crew, and learn what life was like aboard one of these tall ships.”
To go along with the ships, a number of different activities and events are planned throughout the weekend. Some of the highlights of the festival are the day and sunset sail excursions, Friday night on-board Green Bay Gamblers fireworks viewing, Appledore IV 3-hour sailing experience out to the bay of Green Bay, and the world’s largest rubber duck!
A schedule of the festival is as follows:
- Friday, July 26 Green Bay – Festival 11 a.m. -8 p.m. with Green Bay Gamblers Fireworks at about 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday, July 27 Green Bay – Festival 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Sunday, July 28 Green Bay – Festival 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. plus Ticket Star Family Day where kids 5-12 are only $5
- Monday, July 29 Green Bay – Ships depart Green Bay, select ships sail to Sturgeon Bay
- Tuesday, July 30 – Sturgeon Bay – Ships depart for Algoma and start the Great Lakes Challenge
Festival tickets can be purchased online here. They can also be purchased in person at the Ticket Star Box Office in the Resch Center or in the management office at Bay Park Square Mall. Tickets are available at the gate each day, but it’s recommended to purchase in advance as there may be lines at the gate.